Why Halal is Important
Halal products are always hygiene, safe and pure which can be used by all sectors of people and not restricted to Muslims only. It is a common belief that the word Halal is related with foods, certainly it is related with food, it is open secrete that the cosmetics, when applied on human skin, works as food to the skin and the cosmetic products which is put on skin gets absorbed in human body through tissues and enters in blood. It is important to take care that when we are applying cosmetic products on our skin should be Halal, hygiene, safe and pure.
There are numerous products which contain non halal ingredients let us take an example of lipstick which may contain pork fat, containing pork-derived ingredients which are forbidden, since people must be clean to pray as it is not permitted to pray with nonhalal (haram) stuff in our body tissues. So it is the need of people for halal products free from haram ingredients, for which our company Maple Integration started manufacturing halal cosmetics and personal care products under the brand “Efra Halal” who is taking care to produce only halal products with halal ingredients.
Many substances like color, preservatives, additives, antioxidants, emulsifiers, flavors, etc., are used in cosmetic which are denotes by E number that may be non halal (haram) like as follows,
Additives which are ALWAYS of animal origin (may be haram), such as:-
- E120 Cochineal : a red colour obtained from female insects
- E441 Gelatine : derived from the bones and/ or hides of cattle and/ or pigs
- E542 Edible Bone Phosphate : an extract from animal bones
- E904 Shellac : a resin from the lac insectWhilst some additives with a common code such as E47, can be either of animal or plant origin and this latter type needs to be investigated on a case-by-case basis per product/ manufacturer.
The main additives you need to be aware of are:
- Glycerol / Glycerin / Glycerine (E422) – haraam if obtained from pork or non-halal meat sources.
- Emulsifiers (E470 to E483) – haraam if obtained from pork or non-halal sources.
- Edible Bone Phosphate (E542) – haraam if obtained from pork or non-halal meat sources.
For more details about E numbers which are halal, mashbooh, haram, etc., please find the following link: http://halalcarefoundation.in/e-numbers/
It is very much important to avoid nonhalal (haram) ingredient based cosmetics and personal care products which are harmful to human and to keep Islam alive.